After 10-15 years of preventing snow, sleet, rain and debris from entering your business, your roof will eventually need to be replaced. If you live in an area that is prone to experiencing bad weather, this isn’t something that you should take likely. The cost of replacing a roof can be significantly more expensive if water seeps into the foundation of the roof itself which will also need to be replaced. Let’s take a look at 6 cost-effective & strong warehouse roofing systems.
1) Metal Roofing
Metal roofing is regarded as being one of the oldest kinds of roofing systems that were specifically created for commercial warehouses. Most metal roofing setups utilize strong yet, light materials such as tin, aluminium or corrugated galvanized steel.
Due to the fact that the materials used on metal roofs are extremely lightweight, it can be placed on an existing roof. Once the roof has been installed it is coated with a waterproof solution that helps to prevent rust. One of the major advantages of using metal roofs is the fact that they can last for as long as 40 years. Some of the other benefits include:
- Fire Resistance – Metal roofs are more capable of withstanding fire damage.
- Energy Efficient – Some metal panels are made from recycled materials.
- Durability – Great ability to withstand high winds as well as to hold snow.
2) Built-Up Roofing
This type of roofing system has been used within Australia for over several decades. Commonly referred to as “Tar and Gravel Roofs”, they are installed by pouring asphalt or tar onto the frame of the roof as to which they then place supporting fabrics such as gravel which reinforces the tar and asphalt to make it more durable. These kinds of roofing systems can last for 40 years if installed correctly by companies like Lidoran Roofing company. Some of the benefits associated with this roofing system include:
- Waterproof – This system does not require the utilization of seams or joints, which eliminates the most vulnerable areas for leaking.
- Maintenance – Very little maintenance is required once the system has been installed.
3) Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
Thermoplastic Polyolefin or TPO for short, is a highly reflective and lightweight roofing system which provides excellent resistance to oils, punctures/tears and most chemicals. The strength of the streams which thermoplastic roofs offer makes it an ideal solution for 2nd-generation applications over existing roofs. Some of the benefits with this system include
- Resistance To Chemicals – Ideal solution for warehouses that emit chemicals/oils from the ventilation system.
4) Shingle Roofing
Even though shingle roofs are usually associated with residential properties they can be used to provide an excellent commercial roofing solution, depending on the structure of the roof itself. The two primary types of shingles are architectural and asphalt.
Within these two categories, the shingles themselves can be made from several different materials such as slate, metal, ceramic, plastic, wood and asphalt. Shingle roofing systems typically last between 15-30 years. Some of the benefits include:
- Design – Various systems and colours
- Quick Repair – Most repair jobs are easy to repair.
5) Single-Ply Membrane Roofing (EPDM)
This system is regarded as being one of the most reliable time tested system for commercial and industrial warehouses. This system consists of utilizing sheets of rubber which can be mechanically fastened to a layer of insulation before being placed on the existing roof to offer an added layer of protection as well as to prevent heat loss during winter seasons.
Single-Ply Membrane systems can last for as long as 30 years. Some of the benefits with this system include:
- Time Tested Track Record – EPDM roofing system is a time tested roofing solution which has been used for several decades.
- Fire Resistant – Some rubber solutions have been mixed with fire retardants and have received a class A fire retardant listing
6) Spray Polyurethane Foam Roofing (SPF)
Spray Polyurethane Foam or SPF for short, is regarded as being the most eco-friendly warehouse roofing solution available. SPF is basically a material which is sprayed in the form of a liquid onto the existing roof, creating a foam which will eventually form a solid layer across the existing roof.
While this is regarded as being the least known roofing system, the technology for creating it has been used since the 1960s. When correctly installed it can last for over 50 years. Some of the benefits of this system include
- Durability – The solid structure that forms after the foam hardens contracts and expands with the building itself.
- Environmental Friendly – The installation of this system requires very little stripping of the original roof which minimizes waste.